Training for social and employment issues
The WELCOMMON HOSTEL has been refurbished into a modern facility, an innovative hostel with social impact. It is part of the LE MAT Network for the promotion of sustainable tourism: special people, places, values
WELCOMMON Hostel, an innovative hostel, a social experiment
Together tourists, visitors, volunteers, staff, refugees meeting, discussing, cooking, painting, language lessons, music, socializing
It is not just a hostel. Our guests are individuales and groups with interests and values.
We are part of the social change we want to see happen
Athens is a city in crisis but at the same time one can see a real change if one decides to be part of the social and ecological change. We have decided to be part of this social change.
In the WELCOMMON Hostel we can introduce you to the world of Greece’s social economy and you can learn about its strengths and weaknesses. You can also contribute with your ideas and experience.
The WELCOMMON Hostel highlights the positive impact that cooperatives and social enterprises have on communities, revitalizing neighborhoods, making bridges between communities, social groups, newcomers and local people.
Anemos Ananeosis/Wind of Renewal has a strong commitment to building a better world through social and green innovation and the cooperative business model. We want to influence the direction of our society to become more sustainable and ecologically and socially fair.
Discover the other side of the city
Your stay in the WELCOMMON Hostel is also a chance for you to discover what is going on in the city. You could join initiatives working for the transformation of the city and its environmental protection, you could contact human rights groups or initiatives working with the unemployed, young people or for the inclusion of the refugees. There is an interesting, hidden side of the city, a real live and fresh city within the city; our community is ready to host you and work with you.
You help us boost the social impact of our project
When you choose to stay with us you contribute to the employment of a fantastic group of people, consisting of a number of long-term unemployed Greeks, migrants and refugees who have settled in Greece.
The first step is crucial: we want to be financially and socially sustainable, we try to improve our services, to make our hostel more convenient, friendly and live, more artistic and social. But the next step is also very important to us; we are committed to investing any profits in social and environmental improvements, in the transition to an energy-efficient and green economy, in creating a new center for the most vulnerable; we also aim to contribute to reducing the energy poverty of households, offering them know-how and support so that they can exit a difficult situation through social empowerment and energy efficiency.
We are a social cooperative, with financial and economic activity, with social and environmental impact. We don’t share profits to our members, we invest in social and environmental development
Social inclusion and job integration
Two floors of the WELCOMMON Hostel are used as an open center for social empowerment and inclusion. The aim is to create new employment opportunities for everyone in areas such as upcycling, ethnic cuisines, culture, green / cyclic economy, energy efficiency and others. Our societies must not accept generations being lost, we must not leave young persons, Greeks, migrants, refugees behind.
We offer classes (e.g. for language, painting, puppet show, music etc) with the support of volunteers to refugees, migrants, local people, tourists; we work for the empowerment and training of our guests and design interactive workshops for the professional training and promotion of the abilities and qualifications of refugees, especially the young persons, along with Greek nationals, in order to be able to find their way in our societies for the benefit of our societies.
As a visitor of Athens you could participate in an event or even present a topic to other guests or visitors in our WELCOMMON Hostel, in our meeting corners, in our “classrooms”, or during drinking a juice, a coffee or a herbal tea in our café or in our socializing bar and restaurant “In Common”. It is real!
Some of our social activities
- We have a good collaboration with many organisations and volunteers for social inclusion activities and climate, environmental awareness. We are pleased to continue with our volunteers to offer non-formal education, support for social inclusion, job integration, to provide language courses, art, music, painting, dance workshops for Greek locals, refugees, migrants but also for tourists hosted in our innovative WELCOMMON HOSTEL. We are very happy that since September 2016, Anemos Ananeosis / Wind of Renewal – social cooperative- has cooperated with more than 250 volunteers for social and cultural activities.
- Accomodation of Erasmus+ and university groups, study visits, cooperation with social, cultural and environmental organisations
- Language lessons: At Welcommon Hostel we also teach. Learning Greek, English, German… it is one of the best way to help refugee children, teenagers and adults settle in to their new country, establishing relationships with locals and feeling more like at home. 📕👩🏾🎓👩🏽🏫
- Cooking together: Cooking together, tourists, visitors, our volunteers, refugees, oru staff. Food culture!
- Cooking time for children – refugees ! Every Thursday, the kids and volunteers cook together. Every week they prepare something different. They have cooked everything, from Catalan desserts to banana bread and sponge cake improvised by the children (which it was delicious 😜). Let’s see what our chefs have in the kitchen for us today#EVS #ErasmusPlus #voluntering #Kids #Athens #DaysOfWelcommon#Cooking #food #homecooking #yummy #delicious
- Gardening: In August, we decided to start our own little garden in our backyard. Gardening is a fun and friendly activity that allows our kids to get their hands “dirty” and learn where their food comes from. They do all type of work here, from planting seedlings to building salads together, decorating the pots for the plants… Growing it gives them a new appreciation for nature, when they can have the opportunity to see how things grow.
- Visits to parcs, museums etc
Although the kids and volunteers enjoy their time at the WELCOMMON HOSTEL, they really love from time to time to spend some free time all together outside the building 🤪 Recently they visited the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center. The pictures speak for themselves. ⛵️👭🙈
#EVS #ErasmusPlus #voluntering #Kids #Athens #DaysOfWelcommon #trip
- We say goodbye to and thanks to some of our volunteers through our cooperation with the German citizens’ initiative, “Respect for Greece” who will return to Germany in the coming days. We also welcome our – ten – new volunteers
- 5 EVS volunteers (European Voluntary Service) from Spain work together with us for some months together with volunteers from other countries (Palaistine, USA, Germany)
WELCOMMON Hostel by Anemos Ananeosis / Wind of Renewal. Social Cooperatives
Special place, people, values
Sustainable tourism, social inclusion, art, creativity, social innovation
In #Athens #Greece